Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tongkii

Tongkii's Psychology Homework for this week!

Guest Tongkii

Lets see, first I have 2 discussion questions for the class. That I should theoretically be able to answer, but who knows!

1) How might social psychology be influenced by cultural (as in World cultures) factors from one society to another? Provide an example.

2) What factors should be considered in distinguishing between normal and abnormal behavior? What relationships of importance might exist between social psychology and abnormal psychology? What are some universal factors that would be considered across cultures???

We'll be discussing these in class tomorrow >.

Then I have... more writing to do!

-----

Prepare a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you examine fundamental concepts of human interaction from the perspective of social psychology.

Describe at least two examples of how human behavior changes based on social situations. In your description be sure to address the following:

Describe the specific behaviors and the context in which they occurred.

Using social psychology concepts, provide an analysis of possible precursors and consequences of the behaviors.

Identify all associated phenomenon with your selected behaviors, such as social facilitation, social loafing, or groupthink.

Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Third person voice. 3 references minimum.

-----

I've still got a bunch of reading to do tonight, however, I should be on around raid'ish time, if any of you psychology peoples wanna talk about this stuff, and point me in the right direction! (i can't wait til I'm back to computer and networking classes >.

Guest Llamda
Lets see, first I have 2 discussion questions for the class. That I should theoretically be able to answer, but who knows!

1) How might social psychology be influenced by cultural (as in World cultures) factors from one society to another? Provide an example.

Culture appears to play a role in willingness to conform to a group. Stanley Milgram found that conformity was higher in Norway than in France.[16] This has been attributed to Norway's longstanding tradition of social responsibility, as compared to France's cultural focus on individualism. Japan likewise has a collectivist culture and thus a higher propensity to conform; however, in a 1970 Asch-style study, it was found that, when alienated, Japanese students would be susceptible to anticonformity (giving answers that were incorrect even when the group had coincided on correct answers) one third of the time- significantly higher than has been seen in replications of Asch studies before.[10]

http://psych.wisc.edu/Miyamoto/Cacl/Morling%20et%20al%2002.pdf

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2012_11.dir/pdfQNNtxAIJut.pdf

Next, there are cultural factors, which examines peoples’ decisions based on solidarity or not. Individualistic cultures, in the western-hemisphere (United States and United Kingdom) emphasize on personal identity and self-determination. Conformity is far less pervasive in individualistic societies because democratic choices and laissez-faire viewpoints are somewhat considered. On the contrary, collectivistic cultures, such as African, Asian and Middle Eastern societies formulate a source of belonging; and as a result, majority influence happens to be greater. An example of an individualistic culture influencing the majority is the significant event of the women suffrage movement in the early years of the 20th century in the United States. Ongoing advocacy of the minority, combined with social justice evidence, led the majority of Americans to accept female viewpoints and pioneer gender equality. Recently, parallel influence has been encountered in collective cultures as well. The natives’ decisions in Tunisia (January 2011), Egypt (February 2011), and Libya (February 2011) display majority influence because many protesters began their demonstrations collectively in the city of Tunis, Cairo, and Benghazi in a mission to overthrow authoritarian regimes of presidents Ben Ali, Hosni Mubarak, and Muammar Gaddafi. This particular revolutionary tactic of public protesting has not only influenced people within these three countries, but many other collectivistic countries have also led to this scheme of conformity subsequently as well.

2) What factors should be considered in distinguishing between normal and abnormal behavior? What relationships of importance might exist between social psychology and abnormal psychology? What are some universal factors that would be considered across cultures???

http://www.inmotionmagazine.com/hrcr11/hsadat2.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-abnormal-behavior.htm

http://www.netplaces.com/psychology/disorders-when-thinking-and-emotionality-go-awry/what-is-abnormal.htm

http://wesleymeacham.hubpages.com/hub/Perspectives-in-Abnormal-Psychology-How-Do-We-Define-Normal-and-Abnormal-in-Psychology

We'll be discussing these in class tomorrow >.

Then I have... more writing to do!

-----

Prepare a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you examine fundamental concepts of human interaction from the perspective of social psychology.

Describe at least two examples of how human behavior changes based on social situations. In your description be sure to address the following:

Using social psychology concepts, provide an analysis of possible precursors and consequences of the behaviors.

Identify all associated phenomenon with your selected behaviors, such as social facilitation, social loafing, or groupthink.

Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines. Third person voice. 3 references minimum.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/social-psychology.html

http://brainz.org/ten-most-revealing-psych-experiments/

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2012_11.dir/pdfQNNtxAIJut.pdf

Edited by Llamda

Guest shunko

Tong did you ever write that psych paper from 2 weeks ago?

Guest Tongkii

>.> nope, didn't write that one. Didn't have time.

Guest midi
>.> nope, didn't write that one. Didn't have time.

if you have the material and the format requested, I used to get paid to write people's papers- more if i had to do the research myself.

fun fact: it paid my bus passes in college and my cell bill.

Guest Tongkii

New Discussion Question: Identify therapies used for each school of thought in psychology for treating mental disorders.

Guest Tongkii

Okay so I've figured out which two examples of human behavior I'd like to choose.

College life:

Describe the specific behaviors. - Drug and/or Alcohol use

Describe the context in which the behaviors occurred. - Moments of extreme social pressure such as gatherings.

Analyze precursors and consequences of the behaviors in terms of social psychology concepts - A precursors of a person being prone to peer pressure could be someone who is socially awkward or into trends...a follower so to speak who wants to fit in rather then be left out. A consequence of this behavior could be addiction, binge drinking which could be fatal, etc.

Identify any associated phenomenon with your selected behaviors, such as social facilitation, social loafing, or group think. Group think can be used to describe this because one can lose themselves in the "in crowd" during their attempt to fit in. Again I saw become a followers and forget who they really are. Changes in appearance, philosophy, attitude towards those outside of the group, etc.

Determine if the exhibited behaviors necessitate therapeutic intervention - Yes because severe drug use can hinder life on a grand scale.Those who've foudn themselves oused from the"in crowd" or unable to fit in often suffer major bouts of depression,etc.

-----

Jogging in the park:

Describe the specific behaviors. - Jogging at your own pace, until more joggers arrive, then subconsciously you start running faster

Describe the context in which the behaviors occurred. -

Analyze precursors and consequences of the behaviors in terms of social psychology concepts -

Identify any associated phenomenon with your selected behaviors, such as social facilitation, social loafing, or group think - I'm pretty sure this is social facilitation (but I could be wrong)

Determine if the exhibited behaviors necessitate therapeutic intervention -

--- Anyone able to help me fill in those last spots? pretty please! or if you find yourself with free time and want to write my paper for me... i'll pay 15k golds!

Guest Llamda

http://education-portal.com/academy/lesson/social-loafing-social-facilitation-definition-and-effects-of-groups.html

Obviously group think a big part of drug/alcohol use in college.

Obviously social facilitation regarding jogging faster in a group than solo - something we try to use in our raids as well!

Alcohol & Drug info:

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=5802&page=55

Edited by Llamda

Guest Tongkii

Contributors' names (Last edited date). Title of resource. Retrieved from http://Web address for OWL resource

Angeli, E., Wagner, J., Lawrick, E., Moore, K., Anderson, M., Soderlund, L., & Brizee, A. (2010, May 5). General format. Retrieved from http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

-----

Short Quotations

If you are directly quoting from a work, you will need to include the author, year of publication, and the page number for the reference (preceded by "p."). Introduce the quotation with a signal phrase that includes the author's last name followed by the date of publication in parentheses.

According to Jones (1998), "Students often had difficulty using APA style, especially when it was their first time" (p. 199).

Jones (1998) found "students often had difficulty using APA style" (p. 199); what implications does this have for teachers?

If the author is not named in a signal phrase, place the author's last name, the year of publication, and the page number in parentheses after the quotation.

She stated, "Students often had difficulty using APA style" (Jones, 1998, p. 199), but she did not offer an explanation as to why.

-----

Long Quotations

Place direct quotations that are 40 words, or longer, in a free-standing block of typewritten lines, and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, indented 1/2 inch from the left margin, i.e., in the same place you would begin a new paragraph. Type the entire quotation on the new margin, and indent the first line of any subsequent paragraph within the quotation 1/2 inch from the new margin. Maintain double-spacing throughout. The parenthetical citation should come after the closing punctuation mark.

Jones's (1998) study found the following:

Students often had difficulty using APA style,

especially when it was their first time citing sources.

This difficulty could be attributed to the fact that many

students failed to purchase a style manual or to ask

their teacher for help. (p. 199)

Guest midi

tongkii, pm me your email address. formatting doesnt copy over to the forums correctly.

Guest midi

Social groups are a basic part of human life. Except in rare cases, we all typically belong to many different types of social groups. Our groups give us security, companionship, values, norms, and so on. Beyond our primary groups of family and friends, most of us have several secondary groups that exist at work or school or within a ‘group type community’# . With every group a person belongs to, we see different effects, advantages, disadvantages, and consequences. The effects we'll discuss in this lesson are groupthink, social loafing, and social facilitation. Further examining the following situations: College life (also similar to adults reminiscing - but with action) and something as simple as an solo jogger in a park. Each of these situations have a different group impact and group-think approach on the individual at the personal level as well as the perceived group level.

In terms of psychology concepts - a precursor of a person being prone to peer pressure could be someone who is socially awkward or into trends, a follower type personality; seeking to fit in and be accepted as opposed to being left out. Some of the consequences to this personality and behavior type are; addiction in various forms (alcohol, drugs etc), which can be fatal. Applying the college student example here can easily show that a studious focused student staying in a dorm may want to participate in campus activities & contests. Seeking social acceptance, the social loafing concept does not apply#. However, the group-think mentality# and social facilitation in a negative impact, are applicable.

The studious student may undergo changes to his/her appearance; dressing differently, changes in music, hobbies and interests - to match or be more like those of the group. More extreme examples that are socio-stereotypical are going from Jock type clothes and “mainstream music” to Punk rock or Goth clothing and music, piercing and tattoos. Some of these are also assumptive of deliberate anti-establishment or anti-group average or negatively stereotypical.

There are different levels of social absorption# this student may fit into one or both listed in various levels.

Substance abuse - if on a binge pattern or complete dependency- social intervention would be required. If moderately drinking and socially drinking, social intervention may not be required. If the individual has a moment of clarity or realization, personal changes can be made even under peer pressure “no thanks, I’ve been drinking and partying too much lately” or even a lie “nah man, I’m broke”.

Complete self loss; therapy and intervention would be required as the individual no longer sees there is a problem or perceives a problem and continues to repeat the same negative behavior (grades going from A/B to near fail, classes skipped, grocery money spent on drugs or achohol, loss of interest in hobbies, ‘old friends’, change in personal philosophy, patterns of thinking, sleeping patterns and moods).

With distance from the environment and group in which the individual acts on poor choices (holiday break or seasonal break), the person in question may see the negative impact of their behaviors and change when returning or treat the away visit as “an away personality” and revert to their “typical behavior”#.

Examining the positive impact of social facilitation# on a Solo Jogger would depend on their personal values and views. The application of social facilitation towards the jogger would work in the same premise as the study conducted by Norman Triplett, which found cyclists pushed better personal times and achieved higher goals as opposed to cycling alone. The results of this study applied to the jogger work as well. Working in positive groups push the personal performance either motivated by competition or personal goals. The presence or perception of challenge can improve performance under healthy settings. If the presence of competition and challenge were to occur with a task less familiar or more complex (under the assumption of non anxiety or personal nerves) it has been proven to hinder performance instead of pushing for positive outcomes. Research has shown that the presence of others generally increases motivation and drive.

Pushing into contrast for negative social facilitation, while training to increase stamina and fitness, a jogger being evaluated by world champs may feel intimidated or not good enough. Under these stresses to be better or impress, the jogger may miss a marker, trip, overexert, take the wrong path. Under the same scope of anxiety the jogger may have a panic attack or exercise induced asthma.

Culture appears to play a role in the willingness to conform to a group. Stanley Milgram found that conformity was higher in Norway than in France [16]. This has been attributed to Norway’s longstanding tradition of social responsibility, as compared to France’s cultural focus on individualism. Japan likewise found that when alienated, Japanese students would be susceptible to anti-conformity (giving intentional incorrect answers when the group had the correct answers). One third of the time - significantly higher than has been seen in replications of Asch Studies before [10]. (http://psych.wisc.edu/Miyamoto/Cacl/...%20al%2002.pdf http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcama...QNNtxAIJut.pdf)

When factoring in environment vs. personal susceptibility to group-think/ social facilitation and social loafing, self esteem and self value help weigh in. If a person perceives others to be able to “bring more” to the group, they’ll wait and see what is expected of them- which is usually minimalist. Others may fear bearing the brunt of the majority of the work and wait to see how it’s delivered so they are not “suckered” into doing the hardest parts or all of it. Typically social loafing is absent when there is a mutual respect in the group or perception of equality, such as a close-knit group of friends.#

In essence, environment and personal susceptibility factor in to whether a person will socially loaf, push to the extreme via facilitation or avoid conflict by using group-think. One of the most fascinating aspects of psychology is the human interaction. Environment, culture and personal values all have strong ties in all facets of human study.

-----------

994. footnotes do not copy over. this does not counter headers or footers. should match your apa format. if not you can adjust it.

first draft. enjoy

Guest Jubz

I much rather prefer math :)

I was never driven to do essays / writing... but i love math

Guest Irisaaya

Yes but with math there is only 1 right answer. With an essay you can put in a lot of bullshit and get by just fine.

Guest Jubz

depends on how complex the math is, there can be multiple answers :p.

u from Peterborough ontario btw? I like the trent canal system :p

Guest Jubz

It's a sweet place for boating with a whole bunch of locks that allow boats to go up / down dams... really cool experience :p

Guest Tongkii

Share your thoughts on the evolution of the US Child Welfare System; specifically what do you think is the most effective way of dealing with the problem of child maltreatment (foster care, kinship care, institutional care, or family preservation)? How is this different from the ways child maltreatment use to be handled (institutions, orphan trains, etc.)? (be original in your answer! - Tongkii)

What are the pros and cons of placing children in a foster home not of the same race? Base your discussion on your personal feelings as well as the readings.

Discuss some of the possible reasons for the dramatic increase in self mutilation and suicidal behavior in the US adolescent population

Guest midi
Share your thoughts on the evolution of the US Child Welfare System; specifically what do you think is the most effective way of dealing with the problem of child maltreatment (foster care, kinship care, institutional care, or family preservation)? How is this different from the ways child maltreatment use to be handled (institutions, orphan trains, etc.)? (be original in your answer! - Tongkii)

What are the pros and cons of placing children in a foster home not of the same race? Base your discussion on your personal feelings as well as the readings.

Discuss some of the possible reasons for the dramatic increase in self mutilation and suicidal behavior in the US adolescent population

when is this due?

Guest Kinegos

I'll sum up the way to deal with US child welfare system. Forced sterilization. Send me some gold, Tongkii, you will get an A for sure.

Guest midi

i'll try to write something tonight or saturday if its still up to be done. probably more towards tomorrow though.